It’s 2009 and you know a kid who just got dismissed from his University. This same kid finds his girlfriend of 9 months cheating on him. Being 19 years old, neither one of these is easy for him to handle, but when his family discovers he has been dismissed from the university they no longer want to help him (understandably) and he feels….helpless. How does he cope? Alcohol. A lot of it. Now imagine this kid working just enough hours a day at home depot to afford to support his drinking habit – and some gas to get to the gym. In fact, that’s his daily routine; wake up, workout (stress relief), drink drink drink until he finds somewhere to sleep. Imagine how his closest fiends feel when they have to wake him up in the middle of the night after finding him sleeping (and hammered) at a bus stop.
I don’t need to imagine. That kid was me. I was practically homeless, I was an alcoholic, I ran from my problems and I was guilty of just waiting…waiting for something good to happen. I passed my time by drinking and studying training methods.
Fast Forward to 2012 -
I own a gym (two, actually), I train some incredible people and live on the beach in Florida (to the right is a photo of me looking over my balcony).
My purpose is not to brag, because frankly, I have a long way to go and a lot of shit to get together. My purpose, instead, is to motivate. I firmly believe that with a Relentless approach to life ANYBODY can dig themselves out of ANY hole they may be in. Whatever your dreams, your aspirations, or circumstances there are no fucking excuses not to do what you want to do.
I just want to share some bits of honesty in hopes that they provide some sort of value to your life. Mostly, the difference in the way I looked at life then and how I look at it now and why my life will continue to improve instead of stay static or go the other way!
- I used to make a lot of excuses. It’s not easy to accept that what happens to you is almost always a result of YOUR actions. Who you surround yourself with, what you tell people, what you think, how you react, etc.
- Similar to the point above, the more time I spent blaming my parents, friends, teachers and other people for the shit that happened to me….the longer I spent in bad situations.
- I used to wait. Waiting is a mistake. Take action, you might have no idea what the fuck you are doing but (as Chandler Marchman told me) imperfect action will beat no action. At least you’re fucking trying.
- You will never know all the steps, only the next step. Take it and go from there.
- The more people that tell you you “can’t” do something – the more desire/fire you should have to do it and do it well. I as told I could never make a living with a “Defranco” style gym in Fort Pierce, Florida. Suck it haters.
- Don’t fear anything. People are capable of anything if they want it bad enough and use their resources wisely
- Know your worth. If you are not getting your worth out of ANY situation, bail. If you know your worth (and its realistic) you should not settle for less.
- I fuck up. A lot. I’ll jump into shit having no idea what I am doing….how else am I supposed to learn? I make a lot of mistakes, but rarely make the same one twice.
Sometimes circumstances seem inescapable. Sometimes shit is so scary or we are so unsure we rather not even try. We need to kick that mindset and adopt a Relentless attitude that will get us what we want. Remember, if you don’t want to end up like everyone else in the brutal cycle of life, you HAVE to do something different. Ask questions, take chances, fuck up once or twice just keep moving forward!
I never thought this would be me:
Like I mentioned above, there are so many things I need to figure out and improve in my life. I have a LONG way to go and will continue to do the things as close to what I think is right as possible. But, I wake up here (picture above) every morning, I drive 3 miles to my gym and I spend all day training incredible people. Long way to go, but much closer to living the life I want to live then I was 3 years ago.
Relentless Life Rules:
- Authority, virility and strength are to be the MAIN male virtues.
- A mans mind should not be fully stocked with answers, opinions or judgements, instead he would collect new ideas and gain wisdom with every breath.
- A Relentless man would NEVER avoid the truth to protect his personal beliefs
- Spend time acquiring more of what you NEED instead of your mindless wants.
- Devote your energy to learning about life and improving it instead of trying to control your image in vanity.
- Be useful to people. That is the purpose of life.
- Laugh at the notion that you can be emasculated by a woman (or man) for only you can do that to yourself.
- face adversity with a frontal, full on attack. Relentless style.
- Stand up and protect yourself as well as others.
- Understand that the opposite sex is to be respected and is a perfect compliment to what you bring to the table.
- You have a finite lifespan. If you squander by being distracted by youtube, facebook and cable – than you are NOT Relentless you are WORTHLESS.
- Sign up for the Relentless “Get Jacked” Newsletter in the “Get Jacked” link above and ill help you do what you want to do most, whatever it may be!
If you need help getting your mind right and attacking your goals, email me. Relentlessgym@yahoo.com